Being at the top of your digital marketing game today means having a kick-ass content marketing plan. Yesterday’s interruption “brute force” marketing just doesn’t work anymore. Today it’s all about the love---marketing that attracts, impresses, and supports.
As the Content Marketing Institute (http://contentmarketinginstitute.com/what-is-content-marketing/) describes it, content marketing is
“the art of communicating with your customers and prospects without selling. It is non-interruption marketing. Instead of pitching your products or services, you are delivering information that makes your buyer more intelligent. The essence of this content strategy is the belief that if we, as businesses, deliver consistent, ongoing valuable information to buyers, they ultimately reward us with their business and loyalty.”
Great content can take the form of blogs, videos, white papers, infographics, or even podcasts. It’s the stuff that starts a relationship and keeps your customers coming back for more. So what does that actually look like and mean?
At its core, mad crush content marketing will have these key markers:
- Must Read: It will be content your audience will want to consume right away (timely, relevant, and easy to consume).
- Evergreen: It will be content your audience will never grow tired of and even want to save for later.
- Unforgettable and sharable: It will be content that sticks with your audience. They’ll remember it, keep it for later, and even share it with their friends and colleagues on their favorite social media platform.
With these key markers in mind, there are tons of different kinds of content you might create. We understand, though, how difficult it can be to come up with ideas. To that end, here are 30 suggestions to help you brainstorm your way straight into a better content marketing love affair with your customers:
Your audience says “I want content that…”
- Tells me a story
- Reminds me that what I do and who I am matters
- Gives me hope for the future
- Makes me smile and laugh
- Reveals secrets or little known information
- Inspires me to be the best I can be
- Validates something I already knew
- Reminds me life is short and I need to make the most of it
- Shows me that hopes and dreams do come true
- Inspires me to take action
- Touches me deeply—even making me cry (in joy or sadness)
- Makes me rethink my assumptions and world view
- Teaches me something new in a fun and entertaining way
- Shows me the underdog can still win against the big giants of the world
- Helps me see an old thing in a new way
- Give me tips on how to make my daily life easier or more enjoyable
- Transports me to new worlds and ways of thinking
- Blows my mind with unexpected twists and turns
- Emboldens me to be tenacious and never give up
- Saves me from wasting my money or time
- Encourages me to be true to myself
- Keeps me on the edge of my seat
- Teaches me about forgiveness and redemption
- Helps me get out of a scary or dangerous situation
- Cuts through the bullshit and tells it like it is
- Eases my biggest fears and gives me direction on where to go next
- Shows me how to do something I didn’t know how to do
- Makes me better at my job, interest, or hobbies
- Is so inspiring/helpful/fun/crazy that I want to share it with my friends
- Makes me happy to be alive
These 30 ideas are of course just the beginning of what you can create. And remember, these can be created in multiple formats—video, audio, visual, or the written word. Customers will love you for it.
And it goes without saying: we love this stuff like cats love catnip. So if you have any questions or want us to even create some mad crush content for you, contact us ASAP! We’re the 911 for your marketing emergency, the tinder for your customer-love dilemma. Give us a whistle and we’ll Lassie the hell out of any marketing and copywriting deep well or wide canyon you might have fallen into. TotalBS out, yo.